Sunday, March 31, 2013

Doctor Who "The Bells of Saint John": Beware The WiFi

Doctor Who is back boys and girls as we are re-introduced to the new companion, Clara, again. I have to say I really liked this mid season opener of The Bells of Saint John, mostly because it reminded me how much I like Doctor Who and how witty it can be while driving home a story. In addition to being charged with re-re-introducing the new companion, Clara, who was smart, sassy, and witty. Not only that, but a mystery on two legs which her even more interesting of a character. The villains of The Bells of Saint John were creepy and cool as they were all connected via the internet. I think they were called the spoonheads.

So The Bells of Saint John began with one the coolest opening scenes ever as it introduced the idea of wifi stealing people's souls and storing them on a cloud. All by clicking on a strange looking wifi name that pops up on the wifi list. The scene moves to 1207, where the Doctor is residing at a church with monks, who rush down to tell him the bells of St. John are ringing. The Doctor heads out to check out the bells of St. John. These bells just happen to be the tardis' phone, which is ringing, and the Doctor is confused, but answers anyways. On the other line, Clara thinks shes getting help with setting up her wifi, and when the Doctor hears the familiar phrase, he rushes to Clara's. As a monk. Yep, as a monk. Clara is confused at who this strange monk is, and slams the door on him. The Doctor tries to talk Clara into letting him in, and soon realizes that hes still dressed as a monk and goes to change. During the clothes changing montage, Clara is attacked by a "spoonhead" who attempts to upload Clara to the cloud. The Doctor arrives in time to save the day and sends them a message that Clara is under his protection. That doesn't stop them from coming again though, and the Doctor knows this as he guard Clara with his Tardis.

So after months of no Doctor Who, The Bells of Saint John is a welcome treat to the Doctor Who universe. One thing is for sure, there is going to be a lot of quotes coming from that one episode alone. Shall we name some of them? There is, "I'm the Doctor, I'm an alien from outer space. I'm a thousand years old, I've got two hearts, and I can't fly a plane! Can you?" , or "Oh, you know what I always say about plans?" "What?" "I don't have one." There are probably a couple more I didn't even touch on. I also like the little nods towards the Ponds with the book in the very beginning (it was written by Amelia Williams). Miss you guys. Now Clara, she really is something and I really can't find the words to describe her accurately. I love how she interacts with the Doctor and looking forward to seeing that play out later on. Also love how Clara was introduced the the Tardis and how she reacts to it. Nothing like the Doctor failing about explaining how its a spaceship and time machine. Now the idea of wifi grabbing people was actually pretty cool as a lot of people do grab unlocked wifis for internet. So the concept is believable, although I think people would be a bit concern if they saw something in a different language. It's like in the internet for dummies somewhere. Finally, who loved the random motorcycle? I sure it. It was so funny and makes you wonder what else the Doctor has in the Tardis. No, what I actually meant was, what doesn't the Doctor have in the Tardis?

Now there were somethings about The Bells of Saint John that were just not there for me. As I mentioned above, people do have some common sense when it comes to clicking on Wifi, and most decent people don't use other's wifi without permission. In addition, even more don't click on networks with strange names. I get people who don't know better, but come on. As for the spoonheads, much as they were cool, they didn't get very much screen time or explored. All we know is that they take on human form and can turn their heads at odd angles. I'm sure there is more of a story there, right? Finally, much as I loved the motorcycle, it was a bit absurd that motorcycle, even an anti gravity motorcycle can scale a building. Then again anythings possible on Doctor Who.

Anyways, The Bells of Saint John started the second half of Doctor Who on a good note as we got a taste of what the Doctor and Clara would be like together. I do apologize if my review is lacking in some details as I'm a bit late in writing this (hey its the holidays). I do think though I have covered much as I can spoiler free (as possible). I would like to point out though that we do see the Doctor's temper appear again, and the words "the oncoming storm" kept popping in my head. See you all next week.

What was your favorite line of the episode? Whats your theory on Clara?

No comments:

Post a Comment