Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Supernatural "I Think I'm Going To Like It Here": Choices, Choices, Choices

Supernatural is back! I Think I'm Going To Like It Here take us to the fallout of the season 8 finale and where our characters are right now. Like any other season opener, it sets up the season's arc the problems the Winchesters might face. Although compared to Season 8 opener, I Think I'm Going To Like It Here, felt a bit more slower, but character driven in a way. It also managed to bring a couple of fan favorites back for our enjoyment. We seriously need to talk about the new title card for season 9 which is just fantastic. I don't normally go on about these things, but the title card was just beautiful and I could probably stare at it all day. Although from the looks of it, season 9 is looking like its going to be angel heavy this year since they have fallen and can't get up. The important thing here is that Supernatural is back now, and can get back to slowly taking over our lives.

I Think I'm Going To Like It Here doesn't waste time to explain what exactly happened from point A (the season 8 finale) to point B (Sam on his deathbed in a hospital). It leaves the fans to fill in the blanks and kicks up in Sam's mind where "Dean" tells Sam he is dying. Outside Sam land, Dean is by Sam's bedside hearing the doctor basically telling him that Sam is dying and there is nothing he can do it about it. Being the brother we all know and love, Dean begins reaching out to Cas, and when Cas doesn't answers, Dean makes a call to all angels for help. Although the response he gets isn't what Dean wanted as angry angels looking for Castiel show up and attempt to force Dean to tell them. This is when Ezekiel, another shows up, saving Dean and offering his help to save Sam. In Sam land, Sam meets up with a familiar face and "Dean" as both offer a chance to live, or to leave behind a legacy. Elsewhere, Castiel has to struggle with his new found humanity and the loss of his angel abilities. In addition to guilt of damning all the angels to earth. Our characters are face with impossible decisions that will alter season 9 and Supernatural.

If I had to say anything about I Think I'm Going To Like It Here (other than the title being wickedly long), is that it is very character driven. There is no case of the week, but Dean trying to save his family, the only thing that matters to him. In addition to Castiel discovering what it is like to be human, and dealing with other angels. If you think about it, Castiel has at least 3 seasons of issues with angels, and they are pretty angry with him. With Cas, well being Cas, with his new outlook on life or something like that, he feels the need to help the other angels and this is going to cause him some serious problems later. Although it is going to be amusing to see Castiel adapting to be a human. I bet you Cas fans loved the laundry scene (especially if you wanted Castiel to take his clothes off). Supernatural has done a lot to angels, and I love how Supernatural didn't keep them as what people thing they are. I think this season we're going to see a bit of development on the angel side. The greatest plot point of the evening though was the Winchesters struggle with life and death once again. Dean wanted Sam to live, and even went as far as asking any angel for help. With Sam, he believed he should fight, but it was warring on him. For some reason, I actually think the brother issues this season are going to be interesting and not forced. My favorite scene of the night has to go to Ezekiel, upon his arrival saying hes here to help and promptly passing out.

Now for whatever reason it was, I kinda didn't like I Think I'm Going To Like It Here. Like comparing it to Season 8's premiere, it in a way lacked energy. Then again how could you ask an episode centered around Sam's possible death to have energy. Even the opening "The Road So Far" segment, well the music, lacked energy. The Winchester seem to like keeping secrets from each other and makes you wonder if the writers like doing this kind of thing. Although, for some reason, I feel like this season's is alright and it's actually a secret worth keeping. It is certainly better than "I'm dying on the inside", "I feel guilty about everything", and whatever other secrets they have kept. Also, not sure how I feel about SPOILER's return this week. It didn't seem as awesome as I wanted it to be. Now he's gone again :(.

I Think I'm Going To Like It Here was a good start to the season and puts our characters in different places. I feel like this review is all over the place since my brain really hasn't fully realized what exactly happened during I Think I'm Going To Like It Here. It is really one of those times, where I have little to say about it. Those boys do break my heart though. As for Castiel, he has a long road ahead of him and he is going to have to learn how to be human. What matters most though is that Supernatural is back and season 9 looks alright and will get better as we get in to it. See you all next week.

What did you think of Dean's choice? What do you want to see Human!Castiel do?

No comments:

Post a Comment