Monday, October 7, 2013

Beauty and the Beast "Who Am I?": No More Mr. Nice Beast

Welcome back Beauty and Beast fans to another season. This year, I will be posting the reviews on  Monday after it officially airs on the CW. I am able to do this because Batb just happens to air in Canada the day before (its good to be Canadian). Season 2 kicks off this week with Who Am I? as Batb returns 3 months after Vincent's (lame) abduction as we see our favorite couple reunite again, but nothing will be the same. In a way, Who Am I? cleaned house after season 1, hopefully getting the series back on solid ground (we do not want a repeat of the first half of season 1). Like getting rid of Joe and Catherine's father and pushing them to the side. In addition to creating some decent plot lines to use later on. Let's not forget the cheese factor that Batb loves to deliver.

Who Am I? started off by quickly explaining what has happened in the time that has pasted since Vincent was whisked away off into god knows where. We learn that Catherine's dad is now dead (RIP Rob Stewart), and that Catherine had actually saved Gabe from his gunshot wounds in order to help her find Vincent. I smell a redemption arc for Gabe this season. Let's not forget Joe, who got fired, or transferred (I honestly don't care) and the department is apparently a mess now. Looks like we're caught up now. Anyways, Gabe calls Catherine up to his office (hes in charge now) telling Catherine they may have a clue to where Vincent is thanks to a clip JT sent him. Catherine sets out on her own to save Vincent. When she gets there, Vincent is taking out some goons and just as he is about to take out his target, Catherine shows up and Vincent seems not to be in a good mood. Luckily JT and Gabe show up and trank Vincent and bring him back to their hideout. There they discover that Vincent doesn't know who they are and is not able to remember anything. Basically Vincent is a new man, or rather beast.

I really like the change that Who Am I? brought to Batb, which is a promising sign for the series. In fact, I kinda like this new Vincent that season 2 brought. Although I hope I don't regret saying this later on in the season. Vincent is more edgier and darker (not the moody dark) this season as he acts more like a solider than anything else. In season 1, he was trying to be normal and having a relationship with Catherine. Now, Vincent is being manipulated by Catherine's dad (her real one, not the dead one) and basically throws his need to be "normal" out the window. Its going to be fun seeing Catherine winning Vincent back. In addition to kicking some serious butt. Also glad that Joe isn't around anymore since his character wasn't really essential and the whole Tess relationship was was not Batb's proudest moment. I like Gabe's addition to team VinCat (this basically applies to anyone who helps the two) and the dynamic he brings to it.

Now Who Am I? did improve Batb, but there were some things I feel the need to pick at. There is the obvious cheesy one liners about destiny and love that Batb seems to enjoy popping out. This is more applying to the scene near the end between the two. Did anyone notice the missing poster in the opening scene? Did the writers forget that Vincent is supposed to be dead and is hiding? Or was it just Catherine? Back in season 1, Vincent was trying so hard to stay off the radar, and now, they suddenly forget the need for it? Well considering the SPOILER is becoming no more, I guess it makes sense. Still, Vincent is dead to everyone he used to know before the experiments. Another thing I want gone is Heather, mostly because I just don't like her. I get she has a part to play this season and it's probably going to be for the sake of drama, but doesn't mean I have to like it.

Who Am I? started Batb's season 2 off to a good start. It fixed most of the previous annoyances with the first season while adding some decent content to work off of. Who Am I? introduced a new problem for VinCat to overcome that wasn't a love triangle or a random break up. When in doubt, pull the "I don't remember you" card. Since its the one thing I don't dislike, I'll accept it. Although it will be awesome when Vincent does remember. Does that mean I'm going to say bye to the new bad ass Vincent? Batb, you're off to a good start.

What do you think of the new Vincent? What new change do you like this season?

No comments:

Post a Comment