Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Supernatural "Bloodlines": Is It Worth A Spin Off?

I honestly don't know what to make of Bloodlines. I wasn't for it to begin with and I really think that the CW is just high on spin offs at the moment. I bet they were like, "here is a large fanbase, why build a new one?" Bloodlines to me felt a lot like the original Supernatural Pilot back in the beginning. You know, dead girlfriend, and missing father figure. Oh then let's throw in some supernatural creature mobs and then you're good, right? This is what Bloodlines is though, it is CW's test to see how we feel about a spin off and if we are invested in the characters to tune in for another hour of television. Sure it was interesting compared to last week's episode, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for a whole season of that. Supernatural isn't about the drama, but the story of two brothers who fight to save the world and each other. Which make me think that the spin off doesn't look good right about now.

So Bloodlines starts off with getting the spin off's human counterpart/lead Ennis on his own hunter tragedy starting with him and his girlfriend in a restaurant where he plans on proposing. But when the waiter is a douchebag and leave them along to move some guest to the monster VIP room, Ennis and his girl head outside. Just as Ennis is about to propose, they are attacked and she is killed. As he is being interrogated, this is when the Winchesters arrive on scene posing as FBI agents asking questions about the attack. Elsewhere, the supernatural families begin moving over the murder over a dead shape shifter. The Shifters think that the werewolves did it and the werewolves are too proud to admit that they didn't. Basically all hell will break loose. Ennis wanting closure though investigates further and discovers the world of the supernatural.

Bloodlines wasn't a terrible episode by any means as it did have some interesting points to it. Compared to last week's pointless episode, Bloodlines felt like it had more weight to it. Then again this could be because of the spin off implication. There was that usual Supernatural humor this week that seemed to be missing for a bit. Like Dean telling the detective that he could go into details but he won't and just walks away. Hell yes. I read somewhere that Supernatural actually filmed in Chicago for this episode other than the usual Vancouver location. So we got some Chicago scenery this week. I also like the little transition Supernatural did near the end to bring the audience back to the main arc of the season with the phone call from Cas.

Now I am really going to pick at Bloodlines so please bear with me. As I have already stated, I am not fond of the idea of a spin off for Supernatural. I feel like it is going to leach off Supernatural just to pull into viewers. I feel in a way that Bloodlines could have been a stand alone episode without some of the drama it decided to drag out. But this drama is needed to create this spin off that the CW desires. Being said, Bloodlines was also given the task of introducing the cast of the spin off. Ennis, has a VERY similar story to Sam Winchester with his girlfriend dying and absent father. I mean, couldn't it have been something more original? Ugh I don't want to into the other characters right now. There were parts of Bloodlines that was a bit sloppy like why didn't they break out of their bonds sooner? Why were Sam and Dean so quick to work with a shifter? Did Supernatural change some of their creatures up? I mean shape shifters rip off their skin right? I can foresee in the future that there will be a lot of sleeping around and family drama in the future. The whole spin off thing is ify.

If you look at Bloodlines as a single episode, it was decent. As a series starter I am worried and not interested. You are seriously gonna have to grab my attention to watch. I feel like spin offs should only be considered when it's based around a character you know and love. Not just the ones you just met. This is why series like Angel and The Originals (which I haven't seen) work. Create a spin off to give a character who deserves their own tale, and not just for spin off's sake. CW don't just keep creating spin offs because you feel like it. Hopefully Supernatural will be done with wasting time now and move on to the good stuff. Back to the main arc of taking on Abbadon and Metatron. Ready yourselves for some emotional damage.

Do you think the spin off with work? Do you think it should have been just one episode?

No comments:

Post a Comment